Welcome

Welcome to my blog.

Friday 2 August 2013

Handwriting Basics

This is yet another blog of me just musing about things. It’s amazing how productive I am on this blog when I have work to do instead.

I know that at least eligible handwriting is promoted in primary schools in the UK, which is great. But it doesn't go much further than that, does it? When I was at university I came across so many students who had handwriting that was illegible, childish or both and I could hardly believe they were taught to write neatly in the first place.

So I was wondering – should good handwriting be a skill taught in schools? As far as I know some skills that used to be taught in my mother’s time have gone out of fashion – home economics, sewing etc. so maybe it’s been neglected because people just don’t write as often as they once did.

Yet I think it’s such an important skill to have. I don’t think it’s important for graphology – which is nonsense anyway. Just that it’s good to know you can write an application form or letter or some notes without needing to decipher it a few months later. I’m left-handed so my handwriting isn't the best, but I self-taught some calligraphy for a little while and it helped my letter sizes become more even.

Despite that, my letters still slant to the left.

1 comment:

  1. However, I can't remember the last time I had to hand write more than a couple of words. I can however touch-type, THAT should be taught in schools because it's a necessary skill that will be required for a long long time.

    ReplyDelete